Editorial Submission Guidelines
Welcome to another round of Visitor Guide design.
These guidelines should help answer most of your questions. For complete editorial specs, please download the PDF from the link on the right. If you have any additional concerns or need help with anything, please contact us.
We make every effort to streamline the process of composing the magazine. For that purpose, we provide a Page Map along with these specifications and helpful hints. In addition, you may download a Visitor Guide InDesign template. This ensures correct document dimensions and pagination.
DOWNLOAD AT makeitmomentous.com/university-client-resources
Please make sure to follow the most recent Page Map. If you wish to move the position of any pages in the map, please contact me with a request as soon as possible. Page shifts are not guaranteed due to our contractual obligations with advertisers.
Likewise, as information is received from our sales department, we may need to add additional pages or change the page layout. Please have at least two pages of optional “evergreen” content available in case the folio increases. This content can be large campus shots with minimal copy, athletics schedules, promotional or historical material, a city overview, or even a fun crossword puzzle.
I look forward to working with you!
2465 Central Avenue | Suite 203
Boulder, CO | 80301
(800) 807-1013 | ext. 1004
- to update the copyright year in the disclaimer.
- to add environmental information and logos to the disclaimer.
- to leave the inside front cover, inside back cover and back cover pages blank.
- to check “Use document bleed settings” in the pdf options.
- there will be multiple rounds of review before final approval.
- after final approval, package the InDesign files with all linked images and send them to us.
1. DOCUMENT SET UP
Download the InDesign Visitor Guide Template at:
Trim Size = 8.375"w x 10.875" h
Bleed = 0.1875"
Safe Zones/Guides: Guides are set up in the Master pages of our InDesign Visitor Guide Template for the following safe zones.
- All non-bleeding content should be kept at a minimum of .2" from the trim.
- Footers/Headers should also be a minimum of .15” from the designated ad space. The inside front cover, inside back cover and back cover should be left blank – no header/footer.
- The two horizontal guides in the middle of the page indicate the gutter between half page editorial content and ads. They are set 5.3215” from the top and bottom trim.
2. DESIGN & LAYOUT
- The University name and logo
- Identification: Visitors / Visitor / Visitor’s / Visitors’ Guide
- Year and/or Issue number to distinguish from issue to issue. The year can be formatted as 2020-21 or 2020.
- Optional: University web url, social media icons, magazine-style cover lines highlighting what’s in the guide.
- The Disclaimer: Your file needs to include a disclaimer, which is typically found on the Table of Contents or Welcome page. Disclaimer samples are provided as a reference on the last page.
- Our company name changed in 2019. Please double-check the disclaimer and update Campus Publishers to Momentous Campus Media.
- The disclaimer should include an environmental statement and associated logos. The logos are in a pdf that includes notes on use.
- The Visitor Guide includes both Editorial and Ad pages. The file you send should include every page of the magazine. The ad pages should be blank except for the footer and/or header, which should include the page number. If you need to add content to ad pages as part of your internal review process, place that content on its own layer. When saving the final pdf to send to us, turn that layer off.
- Double-check phone numbers and test website urls.
- New for 2020: We no longer include Business/Advertiser Index pages.
USING THE PAGE MAP
- The pages in your file should match the layout in the page map we provide. You can start working on your design using the previous year’s issue anytime, but please be aware of
the possibility that the page count may change. It is highly recommended to have a few optional editorial pages ready in the event the page count increases.
- We will send you a preliminary page map approximately 6 weeks prior to the editorial due date and the final layout 2 weeks prior.
- The optimum resolution for images is between 250- 300 ppi. As you resize images in your layout, please pay attention to the change in the “effective resolution,” which can be found in the
Links > Link Info panel.
- To keep the ink density under 300%, it’s best to make all adjustments to images in Photoshop in RGB color mode.
4 COLOR PROCESS PRINTING
- RGB and Spot colors will be converted using the U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2 color profile before printing. We recommend using CMYK colors only, especially the university’s official CMYK
build for either coated or uncoated paper, depending on your paper choice.
- Do not use spot colors unless you have tested and approved the converted CMYK build. To convert spot colors to CMYK, double-click on the color in the Swatches panel. Change the
Color Mode to CMYK and the Color Type to Process.
- Set preferences to display and output blacks accurately. “Overprint [Black] swatch at 100%” should be on to aid in registration.
- Text and thin lines should use the basic black build 0-0-0-100.
- Background fills and large graphic elements should use a rich black build. We suggest 40-30-30-100 or a similar build that does not exceed 280% total ink coverage.
- Never use Registration black for anything. It has a build of 100-100-100-100 (400% ink density).
- RGB black is 300% ink density with only 90% black. It’s fine for images but avoid using it for text.
FOR ILLUSTRATOR FILES, SUCH AS MAPS:
- Set preferences to display and output blacks accurately.
- Make sure Spot colors are converted to Process CMYK using Swatch Options. Change the Color Mode to CMYK and the Color Type to Process.
- To greatly reduce the file size of PDFs, be sure to uncheck “Preserve Editing Capabilities” in the PDF options.
- Reversed text and logos: To ensure that light colors over dark backgrounds print legibly, avoid small and thin fonts and strokes.
- Sometimes when type is outlined in InDesign or Illustrator, it automatically gets set to Overprint. Open the Attributes panel (in InDesign, look under Output) and make sure Overprint is unchecked.
- Overlays, blend modes and shadows can create high ink density in CMYK files. Proceed with caution and check your ink density: Separation Preview > Ink Limit > 310
3. EXPORT TO PDF
- File > Export. Export as a Print PDF.
- Use the Adobe PDF Preset ‘Press Quality’
- General: All Pages (not Spreads)
- Output > Ink Manager - check to see if there are any spot colors. If so, check ‘All spots to process’
- Bleed: Check “Use Document Bleed Settings”
- Printer marks are not needed, except on individual replacement pages (Crop marks only, offset .1875”)
- Color Conversion: Convert to Destination (Preserve Numbers), U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2
- The final PDF document size should be: 8.75” x 11.25”
4. PACKAGE NATIVE FILES
After approval for print, provide the design files for use in our Online/Mobile production and backup. Go to File > Package to create a folder with an .idml file and all images. Please make
sure that there are no missing links and all images used in the InDesign layout accompany the file. The inclusion of licensed fonts is not mandatory. There are usually several rounds of
revisions, so these files are not expected until after the hard proof is approved for print.
5. DELIVER FILES
Upload the final PDF and Packaged files to Momentous Campus Media’ s FTP site.
url = makeitmomentous.com/client-uploads
You may also use Dropbox, university FTP or another method of online transfer convenient for you. Share your link with: email@example.com
DISCLAIMER INFO AND SAMPLES
Here are some samples of disclaimers.
The language and layouts vary but the publisher information should always be:
- ... published by Momentous Campus Media, 2465 Central Avenue, #203, Boulder, CO 80301. Copyright 2020. All rights reserved.
- For errors or omissions in advertising content, contact Momentous Campus Media, 303-544-1198.
to update the copyright year
If your disclaimer doesn’t include the following environmental information, please add it in:
This publication is printed using a renewable ink resource on 10% recycled paper that is Elemental Chlorine Free. It was produced by a certified member of the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) and Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI) compliant with the Federal Resource Conservation Recovery Act (RCRA).
We’ve set up the logos in a pdf that you can either open in Illustrator to edit color, or just place one of the pages as is (check Transparent Background in place options). Feel free to reduce the opacity of the white and black versions.